I am going to write a series of posts about why I love Fusion Paint and related products. There are many reasons, and this will be a growing list.
Reason #1 No Bad Reactions
There are an increasingly large number of people who suffer from allergies. Whether it is caused by genetics, by the use of GMOs, by the ever-growing number of chemicals normal households are exposed to on a regular basis, or by some other unknown cause, allergies are no fun. No fun at all.
Our family has celiac disease, which means we are extremely sensitive to gluten and wheat, and all the related products. Even if we ingest a tiny bit of wheat, or breathe in the grocery store aisle where the wheat flour is on display, we suffer many and varied symptoms, from gut pain to bowel troubles, headaches to skin issues. We have to be constantly vigilant.
Likely because of the celiac disease that has damaged our guts, we suffer from “leaky guts”. Our guts don’t leak out of our bodies! However, because of the damage done to the villi in our intestines, molecules that ought to be stopped by a barrier in the small intestine leak into places they ought not to go. This means that most celiacs suffer from secondary allergies. These can range from food allergies (corn, soy, dairy, carrots, nightshades, etc.) to chemical sensitivities.
I do have secondary food allergies, but one of my worst reactions is caused by chemical sensitivity. I am VERY sensitive to all sorts of chemicals, including perfume, gas, diesel, and cigarette smoke. I also have severe reactions to VOCs, such as those found in paint thinner or turpentine.
What are VOCs?
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are organic chemicals that have a high vapour pressure at ordinary room temperature. Their high vapour pressure results from a low boiling point, which causes large numbers of molecules to evaporate or sublimate from the liquid or solid form of the compound and enter the surrounding air.
Solvents in paints, pastes and coatings are used to transfer them to the substrate they are being applied to. Once they do, the solvents are released into the atmosphere by evaporation. Solvents like varsol, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, alcohol and methyl hydrate (to name a few) are actually 100% VOC’s because they are almost entirely released into the air as they dry.
So What’s the Problem?
The problem is that people like me are EXTREMELY SENSITIVE to Volatile Organic Compounds. Breathing low levels of VOCs for long periods of time may increase some people’s risk of health problems. Several studies suggest that exposure to VOCs may make symptoms worse in people who have asthma or are particularly sensitive to chemicals.
One of the puzzling things about sensitivities is that the symptoms are many and varied. If I happen to walk down the aisle at the grocery store that has wheat flour for sale, and if someone has disturbed a bag and caused some flour to go into the air I happen to breathe, I instantly get a headache. Before I leave the store, I have itchy ears and an itchy scalp. I often break out in a rash that is almost unbearable. All this from breathing in wheat flour.
The same thing happens to me with VOCs. I don’t simply get a headache. That’s bad enough. But I also feel dizzy and nauseated, and before you know it I’ve broken out in a rash.
The other day, I foolishly used some paint thinner.
The picture isn’t clear, but if you look carefully, you can see a rash on my inner arm. It was so itchy that I wanted to scratch my skin off. I posted the picture on Instagram, and wrote:
add.some.flairToday I used some paint thinner. I breathed in a whiff of the odour while cleaning a roller. Got immediately dizzy, then broke out in a rash. This is why I love Fusion products! I never get a reaction with them.
From Fusion Mineral Paint’s website: “Fusion colours are non-toxic, lead free, virtually odorless and have no volatile organic compounds (VOC), contain no ammonia or formaldehyde.”
Anyone who is the least bit sensitive to chemicals will benefit from Fusion Mineral Paint. You can safely use it if you are pregnant, as Jennylyn Pringle, president of Homestead House, had done. You can let your little 3 year old paint her own shelf without worrying that she is exposed to harmful VOCs.
Before I was introduced to Fusion, I tried using a popular chalk paint. The strong odour, especially of the wax, made me very ill. What a joy to find Fusion – the paint that is safe for everyone, even the strange ones who are allergic to everything! (Except Fusion Mineral Paint!)